Monday, June 8, 2009

2nd Class Indian Railway

Have you ever traveled alone in a 2ND class Indian railway. Irrespective of the length of the journey, you are bound to feel bored if you are traveling alone. Since that's what I have been doing for a long long time I pass my time observing the milieu which makes the Indian society such fertile land for stories and and thought provoking Ideas.
But before I put forward my story you got to prepare yourself for a few questions which were very uncomfortable to me at least. I don't want the answers but just want to direct your thoughts in the same channel as mine, Give you a little headache if you want it.

Here are the facts first.

I was in a second class train, A very "convenient" seat no. 72, right next to the loo :)

Below me there was a family of around 10, none of them having confirmed tickets. But their zeal prompted them to board the train anyways, taking scant notice of the fact that it is illegal to travel without a proper reservation.
At around 10 in the evening , there was a commotion and I see that one of the male members of that family had a member of the opposite sex by her hair. A couple of seconds later HE delivered a stinging slap to the LADY and pushed her on the floor. 


That's it folks. These incidents that took all of 10 seconds to happen gave me food for thought for the rest of the journey and prompted me put this new post in the blog. Here are all the questions that I had asked myself. I don have the answers so if you have any please let me know.

Question 1:

My first reaction to the incident was, "I need to write about this barbaric public display of animal-ism"
But why didn't I do something about it....? Why was I a silent spectator thinking about making my own thought s public at a more convenient atmosphere of home rather than trying to let my mind out at those who were involved in the incident...? Shouldn't I have let the MAN who did the act know what exactly I thought about his MANLY  behaviour.


Question 2:

The family was 10 people strong. None of them raised their voice. Just a little Hush Hush conversations letting each other know what happened and then life was normal!!! It seemed a common occurrence as people seemed pretty used to this fact.  A reality check that domestic abuse is still at large in India. A little tremor in my own sweet world where family s comprised of well behaving individuals where PDA (Public display of animosity) or for that matter DA is NOT an option. If my co passengers or I had raised my voice, would it have changed one family get rid of their DA....?

To be Continued.......

1 comment:

  1. guess to get a fair deal out of it, one needs to plunge into details of the environment in which they breathe their most..exposure, education, habitat..

    i mean it is always the natural thing for a living being to impose his/her viewpoint on others..whether verbally or physically...use of strength is an instinct reaction..to what extent that being give up his/her intrinsic mannerism depends on the above factors..exposure, education, habitat...so lets question..is their a common exposure, education, habitat for all new borns???

    ReplyDelete